Cancer Sucks Framed

What are the Warning Signs of Cancer?

The 7 Warning Signs of Cancer

Everyone can benefit from understanding the general warning signs of cancer. Some cancer symptoms develop very early in the disease’s progression. 

These could include tiny skin pigmentation changes, a painless lump in the breast, or a slight fatigue feeling.

Because cancer has a higher chance of remission when detected and diagnosed early, subtle signs of cancer should never be ignored. 

In this post, we’ll outline some critical warning signs of cancer, some common symptoms associated with the condition, and explain why early detection is vital.

What are the Warning Signs of Cancer?

If you spot one of the warning signs of cancer mentioned below, take caution, cancer is harder to treat the later it is diagnosed.

The warning signs for cancer include:

  • Unusual Bleeding/Discharge

This could include blood in your stool or urine or discharge from any body part.

  • A Sore That Won’t Heal

Or a sore that is getting bigger and more painful over time and starting to bleed.

  • Changes in Bladder or Bowel Habits

Blood present in the stool or urine, or changes in the consistency, size, shape, or stool color.

  • Lump in the Breast or Another Body Part

Any lump found in the breast or scrotum while undertaking a self-examination or unusual lumps found in other parts of the body. A lump in the breast or scrotum can be a critical warning sign of cancer.

  • A Persistent Nagging Cough

A cough that will not go away, coughing up blood, and a change in your voice.

  • Changes in Moles: Use the ABCD Rule

Asymmetry: Does the mole look the same in all areas, or are there differences?

Border: Are the borders ragged or sharp?

Color: Has the mole changed color?

Diameter: Is the mole larger than a pencil eraser (6mm)?

  • Trouble Swallowing

Is there a pressure in your chest or throat that makes swallowing food uncomfortable? Are you feeling full without eating any food or after eating a small amount?

Cancer Warning Signs vs. Symptoms 

Warning signs of cancer are indicators that a doctor can measure. In contrast, a symptom is a manifestation of cancer that is apparent to you as a patient, but it may not be apparent to your doctor unless disclosed.

Therefore, we can say that a sign is objective evidence pointing toward a diagnosis.

Common Cancer Symptoms 

Now that we’ve outlined the seven warning signs of cancer, let’s discuss some common symptoms.

  • Eating problems

If you have belly pain, changes in appetite, pain after eating, trouble swallowing, vomiting, and nausea, this could be associated with cancer.

  • Ongoing Severe Fatigue
  • Fever or Night Sweats
  • Mouth changes

A red or white patch in your mouth or on your tongue, numbness in the lip or mouth, and any unprovoked bleeding or pain in the gums.

  • Neurological problems

Seizures, headaches, vision or hearing changes, or drooping in the face can be cancer symptoms.

  • Swelling or lumps anywhere such as in the underarm, stomach, neck, and groin
  • Weight loss or weight gain for no apparent reason

The Importance of Identifying Early Warning Signs of Cancer

Before it starts to spread, cancer that can be diagnosed early is more likely to be treated successfully. Here are some examples of how early cancer detection can make a huge difference:

Bowel Cancer

More than 90% of bowel cancer patients survive for five years or longer if they are diagnosed at an early stage.

In general, you don’t have to wait for symptoms of bowel cancer to ask your doctor for screening. Anyone aged over 60 is recommended to screen annually for bowel cancer.

Breast Cancer

Almost all women diagnosed with breast cancer early in the disease’s progression will survive at least five years. All women aged 45-54 should try to book a mammogram screening every year to check for breast tissue abnormalities.

Ovarian Cancer

Over 90% of women diagnosed with ovarian cancer can survive for five years or more in its early stages. The chances of survival decline significantly the later this type of cancer is detected, with only 10% of women surviving if they are diagnosed at the most advanced stage.

Lung Cancer

Almost 70-90% of lung cancer patients have a five-year survival rate if their disease is detected and diagnosed early. This number plummets to 20% of lung cancer is discovered at its most advanced stage.

TruGenX Provide Genetic Cancer Testing

A genetic test can be used to calculate your predispositions for developing certain types of cancer. 

Genetic mutations cause hereditary cancers passed down from parents to children. Hereditary cancer screening can help patients to quantify their risks and set up preventative treatment plans. Contact us today for more information about genetic testing for cancer

At TruGenX, we offer pharmacogenetic testing as well. As a CDC CLIA certified and CAP accredited molecular laboratory, we provide trusted and proven results that improve the lives of patients. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *